Monday, June 10, 2013

Going soft in California


They say that if you live too long in California you go soft because the living is so easy. Well one of the things I've finally gotten used to is the endless switchbacking of the trails in the heavily managed parks. Almost any trail is doable if you have the time.

Well not in Alaska, they go straight up...


That green slope on the left is what I'm hiking up. One of those situations where it's actually easier going up than coming back down. Especially when the trail is loose gravel.

But then the view is starting to look like this...


At this point I have reached the top that I could see from the campground.

But above me is this...

And these guys are above me too...

(His mates are the other side of the hill.)

So I kept going until I was level with him...


Then I kept going until I was above him...


Then I figured I may as well keep going until I reached the top...


I was only sure it was the top when I saw the Tibetan Prayer Flags (this ones for you Fee ;-))

That was one nine hour hike. Good job it never actually gets dark up here in the summer.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done Dave! The view looks incredible! x

Anonymous said...

I love my prayer flags! Thanks Dave. Loving the view from my bed tonight! Awesome! Happy travelling! Fee x Ps Thailand is bish bosh, getting close and looking exciting! :-)